How do you find the RIGHT Home Builder? You may not be a designer or an architect, but the collaboration with a quality builder who can see your vision of the American Dream will make it easier for you and for the builder.
There’s nothing better than a new home. You decide just how your dream home will look. The vibe of your home will be determined by the colors, flow, and layout of the amenities. However, the thought of taking on this endeavor can be daunting.
This list will guide you to a better new-build experience.
Questions for your Home Builder
- How many years have you been in business, in how many homes have you build in the last year? enter
- is your company licensed built in this area?
- What types of insurance do you have (general liability, workers comp, etc…) and what are the limits of each?
- I will I be protected against subcontractor liens on my home?
- Can you supply the names of your 5 most recent home buyers so I can check your references?
- What sets you apart from other builders in the area?
- How long does it normally take to build a home of this size?
- How many other homes are you building now and how do you manage crews across all the projects to finish them on time?
- Will our contract provide a completion date and penalties if the home isn’t finished on schedule?
- Will I have a dedicated project manager?
- If something happens to the primary person building my house, who will complete the build?
- What energy-saving features do your homes offer?
- Do you build only from your floor plans?
- How and when can I make changes or upgrades before and during construction?
- Will our construction agreement include a complete list of detailed specifications and allowances?
- Which permits and fees will be required to build this home and are they included in your price?
- Does your community have a homeowners’ association? If so, what are it’s rules and fees?
- How and when will the final price for my home be determined?
- How often and when will I have access to the home during construction?
- What’s your process for quality inspection during construction and at final walk-through, and to address any changes that are identified?
- Will you allow us to check for defects before we release the final payment?
- What type of warranty do you offer?
- How will you handle our deposit if we decide to cancel the contract before construction starts?
Ready to build your Dream Home?
Rest assured, the home builder wants to be on the same page with you too. These questions are a great way to walk you through a very thorough conversation with your prospective new home builder.
Be open with the builder of your expectations and make sure they are forthcoming with you as well. As a result, you’ll also get a good feel for their communication style. This is a large and costly undertaking, but it doesn’t have to be a stressful one.
What else would you ask a builder?
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW: